2014 sees the start of celebrations by the Brisbane Markets community who are marking 50 years since moving to the Rocklea site.
On 26 August 1964 the Brisbane Markets gates were opened for the first time and the start of a new era began, with all the wholesale fruit and vegetable businesses that had once stood in the centre of Brisbane city now together in the one place in a purpose-built complex.
By 31 August 1964 the Premier of Queensland, Hon GFR Nicklin, officiated an opening ceremony for the Brisbane Markets Rocklea site.
The Brisbane Markets community is celebrating with the release of a coffee table book, DVD and functions later in the year, along with refreshing its popular Brisbane Markets History Collection Room.
For more information on how to get involved, buy a book or view the DVD when it is ready for release, contact 07 3915 4200 or email@example.com.
Brisbane Markets Limited has 12 years of industry ownership since buying the Brisbane Markets from the State Government in 2002.
While it has been one of the most challenging decades in the Markets’ 150 year history, the years leading up to the purchase are a fascinating tale of challenges, trade, people and progress.
Brisbane’s first Central Market began in 1868 in a Brisbane Municipal Council built shed on the riverfront at Market, Charlotte and Eagle Streets. After years of poor patronage, it closed in 1881.
Four years later, in 1885, the Council opened the purpose-built Municipal Market in Roma Street, tucked beside the rail line and handy to the wharf area in the heart of the city.
However, by 1906, a group of unhappy Roma Street traders had created a rival market in Turbot Street, known as the Brisbane Fruit and Produce Exchange Ltd. Over the years, the two markets operated in competition, and their close proximity created a city market precinct.
As the city grew, so did its congestion. This led to the State Government moving the Central Market to Rocklea in 1964, were the Brisbane Markets are located today.
On opening day it comprised five buildings and a trading area covering just 14 hectares however, the overall site totalled around 50 hectares.
In 2002, prompted by industry, the Queensland Government agreed to sell the Brisbane Markets by an open tender process.
After a fierce bidding process, Landacq Limited, a public company comprising 150 predominantly industry-based shareholders, was the successful bidder, buying the now 72 hectare site for $74 million. The company subsequently changed its name to Brisbane Markets Limited.
Photographs, memorabilia and film have been assembled through donations, collated by a History Collection Task Force team. It is funded by Brisbane Markets Limited, with support from the wholesaler service organisation, Brismark.
|Hours:||8am to 3pm, business days|
|Where:||Level 2, Fresh Centre
385 Sherwood Road
Rocklea Queensland 4106
|Parking:||Turn off Sherwood Road into the main Markets entry and head toward the boom gates, turning left onto a service road. Drive along this roadway, behind the Commercial Centre shops. Public parking is available in this area which is directly in front of the Fresh Centre.|
|Donations:||07 3915 4200 or firstname.lastname@example.org|